What is this all about?

I have been asked by several friends to make a blog about the diffident hobbies and technical things I think about, come across, and create for a hobby and the stage. If you have something you would like me to build or explore please let me know. I am always looking for new ideas.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Combination Tire and Cable Drive Motor


Combination Tire and Cable Drive Motor

For Music Man, I had to make a drive motor capable of driving three fully loaded revolves for under $100. The 3/4 horse motor and VFD were pulled from an old AC unit the school no longer needed. The tire and belts came from the bus barn and all the unistrut and threaded rod came from past shows. I only had to buy a few cables and pulleys. I geared it down to about 30 RPM on the tire and was able later to drive a twenty foot, two ton revolve for Christmas Carol. The control pickle was able to start, stop, set clockwise or counter-clockwise, and had an Estop. Later, I wired it with limit switches that would flip to automatically stop it at the appropriate time.




No comments:

Post a Comment